Matrix Artist Ambassador, Simon Townley, offers up his expertise on cutting and styling textured hair. With these tips and some practice, you’ll be able to achieve great results while maintaining the health and integrity of your clients’ hair…
Top Tips for Cutting Textured Hair:
- Start with clean, detangled hair: Prior to cutting, ensure that the hair is clean and free from any knots or tangles. This will make the cutting process easier and more precise.
- Work on damp hair: Textured hair is best cut when slightly damp. Mist the hair with water or a leave-in conditioner to add moisture and make it more manageable – I like to use Matrix Miracle Creator 20 as a cutting lotion.
- Section the hair: Divide the hair into small, manageable sections using clips or hair ties. This will help you work through the hair more systematically, ensuring even cuts throughout.
- Cut in small increments: When cutting textured hair, it’s best to take small, gradual cuts rather than large chunks. This allows for better control and minimises the risk of cutting off too much hair.
- Consider the hair’s natural curl pattern: Be mindful of the hair’s natural texture and curl pattern when cutting. Different curl patterns may require different cutting techniques or lengths to achieve the desired style.
- Remember, cutting textured hair requires patience, precision and knowledge of different curl patterns.
Top Tips for Styling Textured Hair:
- Moisturise regularly: Textured hair tends to be dry and prone to breakage, so keeping it well moisturised is crucial. Use the Matrix A Curl Can Dream range to moisturise and hydrate the hair, focusing on the ends. Deep conditioning treatments can also help restore moisture and improve the overall health of the textured hair.
- Protective styling: To minimise damage and promote hair growth, consider protective styles such as braids, twists or buns. These styles help to protect the ends of the hair from friction and manipulation, reducing the risk of breakage. Additionally, protective styles can give the textured hair a break from daily styling and manipulation, allowing it to grow healthier and longer. The new Matrix Food For Soft Oil is great for giving the hair a high shine, as well as retaining moisture through its use of hyaluronic acid.
- Remember to properly moisturise and care for the hair while it’s in a protective style to maintain its health.
For related articles, click here