15 Fun Facts with Rainbow Room International
Rainbow Room International’s Royal Exchange Square is proud to be celebrating 30 years in business! As the second salon to open within the successful salon group, the Royal Exchange Square has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1993. Here, we share with you 15 things about the Royal Exchange Square that you may not have known, including some of the salon’s pivotal moments…
1. David Nicolson, the salon’s Director, has been with the company since 1987 – six years before it even opened.
2. When the salon first opened, the team had to bring in furniture through the windows as it couldn’t fit through the doors!
3. The Royal Exchange square salon is situated in the centre of Glasgow in one of its most iconic and historic squares – Royal Exchange. This was officially opened in 1571 by Queen Elizabeth.
4. The salon is situated in a 6,500ft Victorian, grade 2 listed building.
5. The Rainbow Room International Academy opened in 1993 in Royal Exchange Square.
6. In the early years of the salon, an entire wall was pulled down – nearly resulting in the whole building collapsing!
7. For many years, the Royal Exchange Square salon has recorded a Christmas Single. This was available for clients to buy via CD, with all proceeds going to charity. Over the years, the salon has raised £27000 for charity with Christmas songs alone.
8. Some of the Royal Exchange Square team previously appeared on STV2’s ‘Live at Five’ to perform one of the salon’s Christmas singles!
9. The Royal Exchange Square salon was the base for the Rainbow Room International FAME Academy – the finishing school for the company’s elite hairstylists and colour.
10. The Royal Exchange Square salon is the only salon within the group that provides beauty services.
11. The team at Royal Exchange are all homegrown. They have all started as apprentices and worked their way up the ladder – many have worked at the salon for over 20 years.
12. The Royal Exchange Square salon has a float room with a Floatation Tank. This was Glasgow’s first Day Spa and Floatarium.
13. The salon was also one of the very first in Glasgow to offer Shiatsu massages.
14. One of the biggest accolades the Royal Exchange Square salon has won is Salon of the Year at the British Hairdressing Business Awards.
15. The salon has recently launched the very first Rainbow Room International Young Art Team.
For related articles, click here