In this piece, Nergish Wadia-Austin discusses the top 5 management tips on how to increase salon staff’s productivity, looking at how targets must be clearly defined, how possibilities of the day conversations should be a daily requirement, as well as the importance of knowing your team, mid week follow ups and praising in public.
1. Targets must be clearly defined, visible and understood by all. It is right that a salon manager should know their daily performance targets but every team member must be aware of their share too. These targets must be bite sized, manageable and achievable.
2. 'Possibilities of the day' conversations with the team are a daily requirement. The salon manager's job is to chat about the ways in which a stylist, a colourist or barber might be able to increase their services offered to their customers on that day.
3. Knowing your team. A manager will find it much easier to enhance performance if the rewards are designed around their staff's wants and needs! Each individual's needs and priorities are different and therefore each person's motivation comes from a different place. Meet those, and staff remain focused on what needs to be achieved.
4. Mid week follow-ups. These are crucial and often left by the wayside when the manager becomes bogged down with necessary trivia.
5. Praise in public, criticise in private! When people perform well please sing their praises from the rooftops! When they need help, do it calmly in a quiet way and place making sure that the help you are offering works!
For help with increasing productivity, Nergish Wadia-Austin can be contacted via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling, +44 (0)208 840 9070. The PHAB Business Helpline is designed for hairdressing and barbershop managers to have a private discussion about any business or professional concerns they may want a solution for.